Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Fail

I haven't posted in a few days, because i've been dead tired and also because I can't manage to bake a successful German Apple Pancake. Basically, it's an apple pancake that you bake instead of cooking on a skillet. Should be simple, right?

Apparently not.

I've failed... 4 times now. It seems that no matter how I adjust the ingredients or how long I bake it (or at what temperature), it just won't cook through. The top and bottom cook, but all of the insides stay raw and mushy. Grr.

From Foodsies!


Anyway, here is the basic recipe i'm using (poorly):


Ingredients:

1/2 Cup Flour (have also tried 1 Cup Flour)
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
3 tsp Baking Powder (have also tried with 1 tsp, 2 tsp, and 4 tsp)
1/4 Cup Applesauce (have also tried mashed banana)
1 Cup Milk (have also tried with a 3/4 Cup and with 1 and 1/2 Cup)

2 Tart Apples
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Sugar
2 TBSP Water

1 tsp Earth Balance

Process:

Preheat oven to 450 (I have also tried 415 and 475)

Slice up the apples and arrange in microwave-safe small casserole or other non-bowl shaped dish. Cover with cinnamon and nutmeg and sugar and then add the water. Microwave for 4 minutes. They should come out a little soft but not mushy.

Mix up applesauce/banana with the Soymilk. Mix up the dry ingredients. Add the wet to the dry (slowly, while stirring). Mix together to form a wet batter (just like a pancake batter).

Put a casserole dish in the oven for 5 minutes or so to warm up. Remove (with potholder!) and melt the Earth Balance in it. Then pour in the pancake batter. Then dump in the apples and use a spatula to even everything out.

Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes (I have also tried 20 and 40).

Remove from oven to discover that the top, bottom, and edges are great but all the rest is a mushy uncooked mess.

Whyyyyy? Why do I even care about this stupid pancake, which I could just make an apple pie or cobbler instead? Or when I could just make a real pancake?
Also, why won't it work? The leavening shouldn't be a problem - it does seem to rise enough. I think I may have read somewhere that a less wet batter cooks through better, so maybe i'll try reducing the soymilk next.


No comments:

Post a Comment