Friday, February 20, 2009

Seitan Picatta (cutlets in lemon-caper sauce)

This is horrible, but I have to say it. I miss veal. Or rather, I miss Veal Picatta. And Veal Parmigiana but that's for another dinner I guess. Anyway, what's a good vegan to do? Why, make the cutlets from seitan rather than veal of course!

From Foodsies!




Seitan Picatta

Ingredients:

4 Cutlets of Seitan
(I made these using veggie broth-based wet mix with a little "beef" bouillon mixed in as well since I couldn't make up my mind)
1.5 Cups Veggie Broth/No-Chicken Broth
3 TBSP Lemon Juice
2 TBSP Capers (drained)
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Earth Balance (or other vegan butter)
Dash of Salt and Pepper

For later in the process:
2 TBSP Cold Water
1 tsp Cornstarch

First heat a skillet on medium-high heat and throw the seitan cutlets straight on. It might help to spray a little oil, but if you actually pour any oil in the skillet, the cutlets will get too oily and greasy since there's no flour on them. I guess if you aren't worried about rioting all over your own diet, you can dust the cutlets with flour and then saute them in a dime of oil. Probably tastier that way anyhow :P

Either way, brown each side for 3 minutes or so.

While that's browning, mix together all the other ingredients (except the cornstarch/water) in a bowl, preferably one with a pour spout.

Once the cutlets are done browning, remove the skillet from the heat and wait a minute. Then pour in the liquid mix and allow the cutlets to soak for a 2 or 3 minutes. If the liquid does not cover the cutlets, flip them after a minute.

Now remove the cutlets to a plate somewhere.

Put the skillet back on medium-high heat. In a small dish or pyrex measuring cup, mix about 2TBSP of cold water (next time i'm totally trying white wine in place of the water here just cuz) with 1 tsp of cornstarch. Now slowly pour it into the skillet and stir it into the liquid mix which is already there. Continue to let the liquid heat up, stirring constantly, until it simmers. Keep stirring and let simmer another minute or two. You want it to thicken up just a leeeetle bit, then remove from heat.

Serve the cutlets over noodles and spoon the sauce liberally overtop.


A note about the picture:

It's a little weird because it's all set up for my lunch. So the dish it's in is from my Mr. Bento. Also, since I didn't prepare my lunch until this morning, I didn't have noodles on hand. So I just microwaved some Ramen (without the seasoning) and added a touch of Earth Balance and Garlic Powder, then put the cutlets and sauce over that.

In the end, my lunch was this (in case you're stalking me):

Bottom container: Tomato Basil Soup
Main container: Seitan Picatta (as pictured)
3rd container: Mashed Potatoes (instant, my favorite)
Top container: Apple sauce with cinnamon and nutmeg

For snacks I brought carrots (for the morning) and an apple and peanut butter (for afternoon). At the office I snagged a banana for breakfast.

Btw, Mr. Bento is the best. I've had mine for almost 2 years now, and it's never failed me. I have occasionally gone through extended periods of laziness during which I didn't use it, but Mr. Bento will never tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment